In 1826, the UT Board of Trustees purchased property on what is known today as "The Hill." The majority of the College of Engineering's buildings are currently located in this area. Engineering and technology facilities include:
Built in 1898, Estabrook Hall currently houses the Jerry E. Stoneking Engage Freshman Engineering Program, Engineering Advising Services, the Engineering Honors Program, and the Office of Engineering Diversity Programs.
Built in 1925, Pasqua was originally constructed to function as the university's power plant. It was renovated in 1973 to house the Department of Nuclear Engineering. In 1988, the building, unnamed since its construction in 1925, was designated Pasqua Hall in honor of Dr. Pietro F. Pasqua, the first head of the Department of Nuclear Engineering, which was established in 1957.
Ferris was built in 1930 and was named after Dr. Charles E. Ferris, the first dean of the College of Engineering and the founder of the COE's cooperative engineering education program. The building currently houses the Department of Materials Science and Engineering, as well as some laboratories and offices of the Department of Nuclear Engineering.
Perkins Hall was constructed in 1949. The building is named after Dr. Charles A. Perkins, who was the chair for the engineering department before it was established as a separate academic unit. The COE's administrative offices are located in Perkins. The building also houses offices for faculty in the Department of Mechanical, Aerospace, and Biomedical Engineering and labs for the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering.
Built in 1963, this building is named for Dr. Nathan Dougherty, dean of the COE from 1940 until 1956. The facility is currently home to the Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering and the Department of Mechanical, Aerospace, and Biomedical Engineering. The national headquarters of Tau Beta Pi, the engineering honor society, is also currently located in Dougherty. The Department of Materials Science and Engineering has instructional labs in Dougherty.
Constructed in 1997, the Science and Engineering Research Facility (SERF), is a 230,000 square foot facility dedicated to research laboratories utilized by both the College of Engineering and the College of Arts and Sciences. The college's Scintillation Materials Research Center is also located in SERF.
Built in 2001, Senter Hall provides the College of Engineering with nearly 10,000 square feet of laboratory space for four different departments, including the Ion Beam Materials Laboratory (IBML). Formerly known as the White Avenue Biology Annex, it was renamed Senter Hall in 2010 in honor of Tennessee Governor DeWitt Clinton Senter (1869-1871), whose actions preserved the land grant status of UT. Senter Hall is a shared facility with the College of Arts & Sciences.
The Min H. Kao Electrical Engineering and Computer Science Building opened in January 2012 and was dedicated with a gala ceremony on March 14, 2012. Groundbreaking ceremonies were held on May 14, 2007. In 2005, UT alumnus Dr. Min H. Kao, Chairman and CEO of Garmin International Inc., a world leader in global positioning systems (GPS) technology, committed to a transformational gift of $17.5 million to the COE–the largest private donation in UT history to that date. A total of $12.5 million from the donation was designated for the construction of this new facility. The Tennessee State Legislature's approval of Governor Phil Bredesen's proposed $25 million in state funding enhanced the building initiative to a total of $37.5 million for the 150,000 square foot facility. The building is home to the Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science and the Center for Ultra-wide-area Resilient Electric Energy Transmission Networks (CURENT).
The five-story, 110,000 square foot John D. Tickle Engineering Building is located behind Pasqua Hall facing Neyland Drive. The building was dedicated on October 4, 2013, and houses the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering and the Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering. The building is named for John D. Tickle, an industrial engineering alumnus and owner of Strongwell Corporation, who provided significant funding for the facility. Strongwell Corporation also manufactured and donated the unique pedestrian bridge that links the building to the main engineering campus. Groundbreaking took place on December 1, 2009 and construction began in 2011.
In 2005, $20 million in federal funding was secured for the Joint Institute for Advanced Materials (JIAM), a joint UT-ORNL institute for advanced materials multidisciplinary research. As a national leader in the field of materials research, the COE will play a leading role in the research conducted at the facility. The building is currently under construction on the university's Cherokee Farm Campus with a projected completion date in 2015. Preliminary infrastructure work on the Cherokee Farm site began in 2010.
In addition to its primary facilities, the College of Engineering has office and laboratory space in several other buildings. The Textiles and Nonwovens Development Center (TANDEC), shown at right, houses COE equipment, lab space, and offices. Hoskins Library contains office space for COE personnel using lab space in the nearby TANDEC and Senter Hall buildings. East Stadium Hall houses two of COE's research centers (the Center for Materials Processing and the Reliability and Maintainability Center) and contains office space for COE graduate students. The University of Tennessee Conference Center building in downtown Knoxville is home to COE's Center for Transportation Research.
The College of Engineering also has a significant presence at the Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) National Transportation Research Center (NTRC) facility on Hardin Valley Road. Faculty and staff from COE's Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering and Center for Transportation Research operate several laboratories at NTRC and are involved in some collaborative efforts with ORNL researchers.
Knoxville, Tennessee 37996 | 865-974-1000
The flagship campus of the University of Tennessee System