The University of Tennessee, Knoxville

College of Engineering


History of the College

1826--The UT Board of Trustees purchases "The Hill."

1838--Joseph Estabrook, a man of strong scientific interest and background, becomes the president of East Tennessee College. Estabrook hires a group of distinguished professors to provide instruction in chemistry, geology, mineralogy, trigonometry and civil engineering. An engineering subject, Surveying, is offered for the first time.

1877--The college is organized into three schools: Agriculture and the Organic Arts; Mechanic Arts, Mining and Engineering; and Languages and Fine Arts.

1879--The Tennessee State Legislature officially names the institution The University of Tennessee and authorizes the granting of advanced degrees in both civil and mining engineering.

Electrical Engineering 18951895--The Electrical Engineering program is established.

Estabrook Building in 18981898--Estabrook Hall is constructed initially to house the departments of Mechanical Engineering and Mechanic Arts. The building is currently home to the Engineering Fundamentals Division and the Office of Engineering Diversity Programs.

Charles Edward Ferris1907-- Charles Edward Ferris: 1907 – 1940
During Professor Ferris' tenure as the first dean of engineering, the Department of Chemical Engineering was established and Dean Ferris gained national prominence by founding one of the country's first cooperative engineering programs. Following his retirement from the deanship, Professor Ferris remained at the university to found the Department of Industrial Engineering and to complete 50 years of service to UT.

Engineers Day 19121912-- The college holds its first Engineers Day. The event was initially established for students to help clean up the campus.

1926--The Cooperative Engineering Program (now the Engineering Professional Practice office) is established in the College of Engineering. The program offers students an opportunity to combine both academic study and professional work experience.

Ferris Hall1930--Ferris Hall is built, named after Dr. Charles E. Ferris,
the first dean of the College of Engineering and founder of the COE's Cooperative Engineering Program. The building formerly housed the Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science. Tthe Department of Materials Science relocated to Ferris in 2012.

1936--The Department of Chemical Engineering is established.

Dr. Nathan Dougherty1940-- Nathan Washington Dougherty: 1940 - 1956
A man of many interests and talents, Dean Dougherty was well known for his service to the field of athletics, both at the university and in the Southeast. Dean Dougherty served as president of the old Southern Conference. He also helped organize the present Southeastern Conference and served as its first secretary-treasurer. During his sixteen-year administration as dean, the college experienced phenomenal growth in numbers of students and faculty, physical facilities, scope of course offerings, and external research activities. The Nathan W. Dougherty Engineering Building was dedicated in Dean Dougherty's honor on June 6, 1964.

1948--The Department of Industrial Engineering is established.

Perkins Hall1949--Perkins Hall is constructed, named after Dr. Charles A. Perkins, chair of the engineering department before it was established as a separate college in 1877. The building currently houses all COE Administrative offices as well as mechanical and biomedical engineering faculty and the environmental engineering laboratory.

1951--The college begins a doctoral program that offers a specialization in chemical engineering.

Dr. Nathan Dougherty1956-- Armor T. Granger: 1956 - 1965
Dean Granger’s contributions to the university, the community, and the engineering profession were numerous. His two greatest loves–his students and teaching–became his most memorable legacies. The Armor T. Granger Professorship was established in his honor.

1957--A doctoral program in metallurgy is added to support the growing involvement with the university in cooperative projects with the Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) and the US Air Force's Arnold Engineering Development Center in Tullahoma, Tenn.

1957--The Department of Nuclear Engineering is established.

Dougherty Engineering Building1963--The Dougherty Engineering Building is constructed, named for Dr. Nathan Dougherty, former dean of the COE. The facility is currently home to two academic departments: Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering and Mechanical, Aerospace, and Biomedical Engineering.

Dr. Nathan Dougherty1965-- Charles H. Weaver: 1965 - 1968
Dr. Weaver made many significant contributions to the college. One of his primary goals was to link the mission of the college to the needs of industry. Student enrollments and research activities escalated under Dean Weaver’s guidance. As the university’s first chancellor, Dr. Weaver was charged with the responsibility for all teaching, research, and public service programs on the Knoxville campus.

Dr. Nathan Dougherty1965-- Fred N. Peebles: 1968 - 1980
Under Dr. Peeble’s assertive leadership, the College of Engineering experienced phenomenal growth in size and quality of its academic and research programs. Dean Peebles was also the first dean to initiate a process for faculty performance review. He was instrumental in establishing the college's Minority Engineering Scholarship Program.

1973--The college establishes the Minority Engineering Scholarship Program (MESP) in order to increase the number of African-American students enrolled in engineering studies. The college's diversity outreach, recruiting, support, and retention initiatives were reestablished under the Engineering Diversity Programs Office in 2000.

1973--The university's power plant, built in 1925, is renovated to house the Department of Nuclear Engineering. In 1988, the building is named Pasqua Hall in honor of Dr. Pietro F. Pasqua, the first head of the Department of Nuclear Engineering.

1973--Aerospace engineering is officially indoctrinated into the mechanical engineering department.

Dr. Nathan Dougherty1981-- Robert E. C. Weaver: 1981 - 1983
Dean Weaver believed that Tennessee should be a leadership state for the nation by serving as a magnet for industry. He believed that UT engineering graduates had the opportunity to significantly influence the corporate world.

Dr. William T. Snyder1983--William T. Snyder: 1983 - 1992
During Dr. Snyder’s tenure as dean, he sought radical change through a different style of management. He had a long-term vision for alumni support and industry involvement in the college. His ambitious agenda included the creation of several private Chairs of Excellence, which dramatically increased interdisciplinary research; an aggressive recruitment program for academically superior students; and a $12 million capital campaign. In July 1992, Dean Snyder was named Chancellor of the University of Tennessee, Knoxville, and served in that role through June 30, 2001.

Dr. Jerry E. Stoneking1992--Jerry E. Stoneking: 1992 - 2001
Dr. Stoneking was a dedicated academician and engineer who believed that students perform better when excited about their work. Under his guidance, the college reorganized its freshman curriculum into the innovative Engage Program. Dean Stoneking promoted and expanded the college’s funded research, strengthened and increased industry partnerships, organized a $33 million development campaign and formed two new degree programs in biomedical and computer engineering.

The Science and Engineering Research Facility (SERF)1997--The Science and Engineering Research Facility (SERF) is constructed, a $25 million, 120,000 square-foot building that houses laboratories and classrooms for both the College of Engineering and the College of Arts and Sciences.

1997--The college establishes the Engage Engineering Fundamentals Program for freshman students through a major grant from the National Science Foundation."

2000--UT joins with Battelle to take over management of ORNL.

Dr. Way Kuo2003--Way Kuo: 2003 – 2008
Dean Kuo came to the University of Tennessee from Texas A & M University. Under his guidance, the college greatly expanded its research role through partnerships and joint professorships with Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) and other public, government and private entities. Enrollment in the Ph.D. program also increased dramatically during this time.

Min H. Kao Electrical Engineering and Computer Science Building2005--Dr. Min Kao, UT-COE alumnus in electrical engineering and CEO of Garmin Ltd., commits to a transformational gift of $17.5 million to the college, with $12.5 million designated to construct a new, state-of-the-art building to house the Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science. The state provided $25 million.

2006--In partnership with Siemens Medical Solutions Medical Imaging, the COE establishes the Scintillation Materials Research Center (SMRC), a new $4 million center located in the Science and Engineering Research Facility (SERF). SMRC specializes in the growth and characterization of scintillation materials, which are used in a diversity of applications.

2007--The college breaks ground on the new Min H. Kao Electrical Engineering and Computer Science Building on May 14, 2007.

Dr. Wayne T. Davis2008--Wayne T. Davis: 2008 – Present
Dean Davis' 30 year career at the University of Tennessee culminated in his appointment as dean of engineering following serving as Interim Dean and as Associate Dean for Research and Technology for the college. Under Dean Davis' leadership, the college has surmounted fiscal challenges and has seen increased enrollment in both undergraduate and graduate programs.

Min H. Kao Electrical Engineering and Computer Science Building2010--The College of Engineering breaks ground on the John D. Tickle Engineering Building. The new facility houses the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering and the Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering. It is named after COE alumnus John Tickle, president and owner of the Strongwell Corporation.

2012--The College of Engineering dedicates the Min H. Kao Electrical Engineering and Computer Science Building in a gala event on Wednesday, March 14, with a ceremony that includes Dr. Kao and his wife, Fan; Governor Bill Haslam; UT President Joseph DiPietro; UT Knoxville Chancellor Jimmy G. Cheek; COE Dean Wayne T. Davis; EECS Professor and Department Head Kevin Tomsovic; Mrs. Sue Hung, wife of the late EECS professor Dr. James Hung, Dr. Kao's academic mentor; and Min H. Kao Fellow Michael Pickelsimer.

175th Year of Engineering2013--The UT College of Engineering celebrates 175 years of engineering at the University of Tennessee.

John D. Tickle Engineering BUilding Ribbon Cutting October 4, 20132013--The John D. Tickle Engineering Building is dedicated on October 4, 2013.


 

Contribute to a big idea. Give to UT.

The University of Tennessee, Knoxville. Big Orange. Big Ideas.

Knoxville, Tennessee 37996 | 865-974-1000
The flagship campus of the University of Tennessee System