In 1826, the UT Board of Trustees purchased property on what is known today as “The Hill.” The majority of the college’s buildings are currently located in this area. Engineering and technology facilities include:
Perkins Hall was constructed in 1943. The building is named after Charles A. Perkins who was the chair for the engineering department before it was established as a separate academic unit. The college’s administrative offices are located here, along with the Jerry E. Stoneking engage™ Freshman Engineering program, Engineering Advising, Engineering Communications, the Cook Grand Challenge Honors program, the Office of Engineering Professional Practice, and the Office of Engineering Diversity Programs. Perkins Hall is also home to faculty in the Department of Mechanical, Aerospace, and Biomedical Engineering and laboratories for the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering and the Reliability and Maintainability Center.
Ferris was built in 1930 and was named after Charles E. Ferris, the first dean of the college and founder of the college’s cooperative engineering education program. The building houses the Department of Materials Science and Engineering, as well as some laboratories and offices of the Department of Nuclear Engineering.
The five-story, 110,000 square foot John D. Tickle Engineering Building is located behind Pasqua Hall facing Neyland Drive. The building was dedicated on October 4, 2013, and houses the Departments of Civil and Environmental Engineering and Industrial and Systems Engineering. The building is named for John D. Tickle, an industrial engineering alumnus and owner of Strongwell Corporation who provided significant funding for the facility. Strongwell Corporation also manufactured and donated the unique pedestrian bridge that links the building to the main engineering campus.
The Min H. Kao Electrical Engineering and Computer Science Building opened in January 2012 and was dedicated with a gala ceremony on March 14, 2012. UT alumnus Min H. Kao, Chairman and CEO of Garmin International Inc., a world leader in GPS technology, committed to a transformational gift of $17.5 million to the college–the largest private donation in UT history to that date. A total of $12.5 million from the donation was designated for the construction of this new facility. The Tennessee State Legislature’s approval of Governor Phil Bredesen’s proposed $25 million in state funding enhanced the building initiative to a total of $37.5 million for the 150,000 square foot facility. The building is home to the Min H. Kao Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science and the Center for Ultra-wide-area Resilient Electric Energy Transmission Networks (CURENT).
Nathan W. Dougherty Engineering Building
Built in 1963, this building is named for Nathan Dougherty, dean of the college from 1940 until 1956. The facility is currently home to the Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering and the Department of Mechanical, Aerospace, and Biomedical Engineering. The national headquarters of Tau Beta Pi, the engineering honor society, is also currently located in Dougherty. The Department of Materials Science and Engineering has instructional labs in Dougherty.
Built in 1925, Pasqua was originally constructed to function as the university’s power plant. It was renovated in 1973 to house the Department of Nuclear Engineering. In 1988, the building, unnamed since its construction in 1925, was designated Pasqua Hall in honor of Pietro F. Pasqua, the first head of the Department of Nuclear Engineering, which was established in 1957. Design plans are currently underway for a New Engineering Complex that will replace Pasqua, Estabrook, and Berry Hall. The new facility will house the engage freshman engineering and Cook Grand Challenge Honors programs, the Department of Nuclear Engineering, and Student and Academic Affairs as well as other research labs and designated engineering-related offices.
Built in 1898, Estabrook Hall has been primarily vacant since fall 2015.
New Engineering Complex (currently unnamed)
In the fall of 2018, groundbreaking will begin on the next addition to UT’s campus for the as-yet-unnamed $129 million complex that will serve as the new home for the Department of Nuclear Engineering, the Jerry E. Stoneking engage™ Engineering Fundamentals and Joseph C. and Judith E. Cook Grand Challenge Honors programs, the Min H. and Yu-Fan Kao Innovation and Collaboration Studio, and many other laboratories for advanced engineering research.
The complex, which is expected to open in late 2021, will present a new look for the university by creating a new entrance for campus via the Hill and surrounding areas. Bookmark tiny.utk.edu/gateway to check up on progress with this time lapse camera view.
Fibers and Composites Manufacturing Facility and Engineering Annex
The Fibers and Composites Manufacturing Facility and Engineering Annex, located on White Avenue, features several laboratories with cutting-edge machines devoted to advanced manufacturing of composites typically containing carbon fiber and plastic resins. The center’s opening in the fall of 2016 is the latest success for the college, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, and IACMI—the Composites Institute, all of which are pushing the frontier of manufacturing capabilities through multi-disciplinary research.
In 2005, $20 million in federal funding was secured for the Joint Institute for Advanced Materials, a joint UT-ORNL institute for advanced materials multidisciplinary research. As a national leader in the field of materials research, the college will play a leading role in the research conducted at the facility. The building opened in early 2016.
Science and Engineering Research Facility
Constructed in 1997, the Science and Engineering Research Facility (SERF), is a 230,000 square foot facility dedicated to research laboratories used by both the Tickle College of Engineering and the College of Arts and Sciences. The college’s Scintillation Materials Research Center is also located in SERF.
Built in 2001, Senter Hall provides the college with nearly 10,000 square feet of laboratory space for four different departments, including the Ion Beam Materials Laboratory. Formerly known as the White Avenue Biology Annex, it was renamed Senter Hall in 2010 in honor of Tennessee Governor DeWitt Clinton Senter (1869–1871), whose actions preserved the land grant status of UT. Senter Hall is a shared facility with the College of Arts and Sciences.
In addition to its primary facilities, the college has office and laboratory space in several other buildings. Hoskins Library contains office space for TCE personnel using lab space in the nearby Fibers and Composites Manufacturing Facility and Engineering Annex and Senter Hall. East Stadium Hall houses two of the college’s research centers (the Center for Materials Processing and the Reliability and Maintainability Center) and contains office space for graduate students. The UT Conference Center building in downtown Knoxville is home to the college’s Center for Transportation Research as well as the Institute for a Secure and Sustainable Environment. The Philander P. Claxton Education Building houses both the Center for Information Technology Research and the Innovative Computing Laboratory.
The college also has a significant presence at ORNL with the National Transportation Research Center (NTRC) facility on Hardin Valley Road. Faculty and staff from the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering and Center for Transportation Research operate several laboratories at NTRC and are involved in collaborative efforts with ORNL researchers.